The Center of Excellence for Homeland Security-Emergency Management
The Center of Excellence for Homeland Security-Emergency Management (HSEM) helps state community and technical colleges (CTC) prepare a skilled workforce to help maintain our national security, ensure an effective response to all-hazed events through education and training initiatives, and build disaster resilience in our communities. Our goal is to provide effective leadership and coordination that rapidly responds to the interests of educational institutions and workforce training needs of the HSEM (all-hazard) business and industry sectors across the state. From our offices at Pierce College in Lakewood, Washington, we accomplish this through working with a coalition of all 34 community and technical colleges, public agencies, and private sector organizations.
The Center serves as a liaison with business and industry to the CTC system faculty and administration. Public and private organizations and businesses receive technical assistance, expertise, information and research on current regional, state and national security and economic development initiatives and workforce trends.
Our Center provides statewide leadership which supports diversity and ensures the industry’s academic programs remain cutting-edge.
HSEM Center of Excellence Goals:
- Provide effective leadership and coordination that rapidly responds to the interests of education institutions and workforce training needs of the Homeland Security Emergency Management business and industry sectors across Washington State.
- Support and enhance economic development through collaborative processes and partnerships by supplying leadership training and coordination that link education and industry needs.
- Promote and establish clear career pathways in Homeland Security and Emergency Management and other related fields to advance the state's preparedness, response and recovery industry needs.
- Serve as an educational resource that creates and shares model curricula, educational pathways, degree/certificate programs, industry specific skill standards and best practices.
- Help prepare a skilled workforce to maintain our national security and effectively respond to all-hazard events through education and training.
- Continually help communities prepare for disasters and build community resilience which is essential for speedy economic recovery after any emergency or disaster and is important to establishing sustainable communities across our state.
HSEM Center of Excellence Services:
For Students and Industry Workforce
- Access to industry news and training programs via the website.
- Degree/certificate programs and continuing education
- Clear education and career pathways for incumbent workforce and students.
- Access to programs that upgrade skills in reading, writing, communicating, and mathematics.
For Business and Industry Partners
- Collaborate with educational institutions to address workforce training needs.
- Provide access to distance learning options for current employees in selected emergency management or Homeland Security related subjects.
- Promote Homeland Security and Emergency Management training opportunities through regional conferences, seminars, and trade shows.
- Provide access to a convenient website that provides linkage to local, state and national resources and information about Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Gain access to a trained workforce with cutting edge skill sets, knowledge and tools to meet industry needs.
- Provide support for curriculum development, enhancement and expansion.
- Help facilitate the articulation arrangements between secondary and postsecondary academic institutions.
- Provide information about and attend professional development workshops and conferences
- Conduct emergency management training table tops to enhance student, staff, and faculty safety and security.
- Provide community all-hazard preparedness information and resources to build personal and community resilience.
- Provide access to resources, training and education that can better prepare a community to deal with disastrous events.
- Facilitate support and assistance from local community colleges and state resources to prepare citizens, local community organizations, agencies, businesses, and industry to help respond and recover from all-hazard events.