Transferring GI Bill Benefits to a Spouse or Children

A GI Bill transfer is transfer of ownership of GI Bill education benefits from a servicemember to another eligible family member. Read on to learn about qualification requirements and the actual process of transferring GI Bill benefits.

Post 9/11 GI Bill Transfer Eligibility Rules:

  • The following active service members may be eligible to transfer GI Bill benefits:
  • Current active duty members having served at least six years
  • Select Reservists having served at least six years and having at least minimal Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility (40% or more earned from deployments)
  • All unused 36 months, or any remaining portion, may be transferred to an eligible individual or multiple individuals.

In addition, the service member must agree to serve an additional four years at the time of the transfer request. A request must be made and approved while the service member is still serving in the Armed Forces of the United States. For qualified service members, a good rule of thumb is to make their transfer requests at least one year out from separation or retirement. This ensures the transfers will be approved before getting out.

College Benefits for Military Dependents

Share This Post!

Related Posts