Homeland Security Emergency Management Industry Description
The pathway of Homeland Security Emergency Management is comprised of individuals who are ready to respond to a natural disaster, public health threat, wartime, technological disaster, hostage situation or other emergency situation. They do so by coordinating disaster response or crisis management activities, providing disaster preparedness training, and preparing emergency plans and procedures.
Because career types vary widely in the homeland security industry, so do salaries. Here is a sampling of HSEM-related jobs, their salaries and career prospects.
Programs are designed to prepare the next generation of emergency management and policy leaders with the knowledge and skills they need to improve outcomes in disasters of all types. The programs incorporate instruction in policy as well as planning and operational components of emergency management and homeland security. The curriculum provides policy foundations and advances students through core competencies in hazard identification as well as teaches them fundamentals in regards to risk and vulnerability assessment, terrorism, mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery, and planning for diverse populations.
- Risk Management Specialist
- Crisis Response Manager
- Disaster Recovery Specialist
- Hazard Mitigation Officer
- Emergency Management/Preparedness Director
- Homeland Security Coordinator
Develop Skills In
- Describe, explain, and analyze the different phases in Emergency Management: Prevention, Mitigation, Preparedness, Response, and Recovery.
- Describe how to integrate, coordinate, and collaborate with communities, agencies, and emergency management teams in order to facilitate crisis prevention, emergency management, continuity of operations, and problem solving.
- Describe and explain the critical guidelines, regulations, and systems utilized in the different phases of emergency management.
- Develop policies, procedures and protocols to allow seamless agency integration from prevention to incident response scenarios.
- Apply a solid foundation of knowledge and skills to assume leadership roles in emergency management, homeland security, and/or public policy.
Homeland Security Emergency Management Degree Options
Edmonds Community CollegeEmergency Management and Business Continuity AAS-T or CERT
Highline College1. Homeland Security Emergency Management AAS
2. Introduction to Homeland Security CERT
Olympic CollegeHomeland Security Emergency Management AAS-T or CC
Peninsula CollegeHomeland Security Emergency Management AA
Pierce CollegeHomeland Security Emergency Management AA or CERT
Skagit Valley CollegeHomeland Security/Domestic Preparedness MC