Careers with the Federal Protective Service
The Federal Protective Service (FPS) is charged with protecting thousands of Federal facilities and safeguarding millions of Federal employees, contractors, and civilian visitors. FPS provides superior law enforcement and protective security services by leveraging intelligence and information from federal, state, local, tribal, territorial, and private sector partners.
The Federal Protective Service (FPS) is the premier provider of security and law enforcement services at U.S. federal government facilities. FPS plays a leading role in the protection of our nation’s critical infrastructure, with lead responsibility for ensuring a safe and secure working environment for federal workers and visitors in approximately 9,000 federal facilities nationwide.
FPS is a leader in physical security and law enforcement operations, and it embraces a forward-leaning, strategic approach to security centered on advance planning and preparedness. In fact, the FPS provides security in all types of situations, including HAZMAT, weapons of mass destruction, and emergency response.
Some of the Responsibilities of the FPS Include:
- Conducting comprehensive security assessment of vulnerabilities at facilities
- Developing and implementing protective countermeasures, based on the latest risk management tools and technology
- Installing alarm systems, x-ray and magnetometer equipment, and entry control systems
- Monitoring systems at federal facilities for proper performance and security breaches
- Providing uniformed police response and investigative follow-up
- Contracting for security guard services
- Performing hazardous materials preparedness and response operations
- Managing K9 explosive detection operations
- Providing critical security services and logistical support at high-profile public events
- Coordinating vital emergency services and disaster response during and after natural disasters
- Engaging federal facility tenants through crime prevention seminars, facility security surveys, intelligence-gathering operations and more
Examples of FPS Law Enforcement Careers
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- U.S. Secret Service
- Federal Protective Service
- Federal Law Enforcement Training Center
- Hazardous Materials Removal Workers
As the backbone of the FPS workforce, LESOs are sworn law enforcement officers and trained security experts who provide security assessments, inspections, and oversight for contract guards, and respond to crimes in progress.
FPS Criminal Investigators are trained special agents who provide critical investigative follow-up response to criminal activity at federal facilities.